Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recipe 47: Fresh Pea Soup St. Germain

I select this recipe for one reason, and one reason only:  I am dying to see green.  This winter has been long and hard.  I am ready for spring!  I want to see little green things poking up from the cold frozen ground!  As bonus, this recipe was not only violently green, but mindnumbingly easy and quick.  I doubled it, and while it is decent, I wouldn't say it's all that great.  If you like green peas, and I recommend this soup.  I would also recommend adding more flavor to the recipe below, either in the form of garlic, maybe some curry...other spices...something.  It tastes just like fresh peas, so if that is your thing, you will love this soup! As per, it came from my bible, The Soup Bible.   Size wise, this is maybe the only recipe in the book with a realistic outlook on servings.  My only other suggestion is get rid of none of the water if you want your soup to be at more soupy than smashed pea-y.  Seriously.  Just stick a blender in there and have at it.  This recipe features a special Le Creuset guest, Blue's baby brother, Blue's Baby Brother.  From here on out, he will be referred to as Triple B.  
Say hello to Triple B!

Triple B looks good in spring green, don't you think?


Fresh Pea Soup St. Germain
(from The Soup Bible, by Debra Mayhew)

Ingredients:

A small knob of butter (hehe, knob.  I'm twelve)
2 to 3 shallots, minced
3 cups fresh peas, or frozen peas that have been thawed and rinsed
2 1/4 cups water
salt and pepper
a crouton or bread garnish
OPTIONAL: 3-4 tablespoons cream (if you prefer creamy soups)
 What to do with your ingredients:
  1. Melt the butter in your pot.
  2. Add your minced shallots and cook for approximately three minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become tender.
  3.  Add the peas and water to the pot, season with some salt.  Cover and let this simmer for approximately 12-18 minutes, until peas are tender, bright green, and taste cooked.  Don't overcook or they will turn Army Puke Green. 
  4. When the peas meet the tender green description above, remove from heat and either add the mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.  Remember, use all the liquid if you want it to be more soupy, less if you want it more firm and like smashed peas.  
  5. I did not strain my soup because I am lazy, but the OG recipe recommends it.  Whatever, if you want to do more dishes and have a high class soup, be my guest.  
  6. If you want to use the cream, add it now, while reheating the soup on low.  I chose leave it out and let my guests cream their own soups.  Yes, that's what she said.  Also, gross.
  7. Garnish and serve hot to your non-pea hating friends.  




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...