Sunday, September 30, 2012

Recipe 24: Lemon Ginger Applesauce

So many apples, so few ideas that
do not end in dessert...
Yesterday, I went apple picking.  Today, I had more apples than digits on my hands and feet combined.  Also, because I am a crazy person, I have decided that I will be going dessert free until October 31st.  That's right kids, one whole month without sweet treats.  Which presented a problem, since all my ideas for what to do with this plethora of apples fell firmly into the dessert family.  But then I realized the greatest way to get rid of many of them and make something that I can eat this month is so simple that babies eat it: applesauce.  Boom.  Plus, color me impressed that even though it is sweet, it has like 0.02% non-apple sugar added.  Applesauce for the win!  I also had a slightly grotty old lemon, so I decided to spice it up and make a lemon ginger applesauce.  I actually think I used too much ginger, and maybe would recommend using fresh grated ginger for more warmth than ground ginger, and would also recommend including zest (my lemon was too leathery). 

Lemon Ginger Applesauce

Adapted from The Apple Lover's Cookbook, by Amy Traverso

Lemon Ginger Applesauce, Le Creuset style

Ingredients

3-4 lbs apples, peeled, cored, chopped into large pieces (mixed types will work fine - better according to the original recipe)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar (more to taste if you want)

Directions

Nearly ready...
1.  With the heat set to medium high, add your apples, water, and lemon juice to your Le Creuset/Dutch Oven, stir, and cover. 
2. When it begins to steam heavily, turn down the heat to a low-medium setting.  Let it cook covered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The apples will begin to get very soft and break apart.
3.  When the mixture is slightly more than half sauce and the apples break apart easily under your spoon or spatula, turn off the heat and let cool for a few minutes. 
4.  Add sugar to the mixture, and stir to combine.
5.  If you like your applesauce chunky, stop here.  If you like it smooth, continue.
6.  Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth.
7.  Cool, and enjoy! 

Et voila!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...