Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Recipe 34: Bastardized Moosewood New Classics Cookbook Chili with Ground Turkey

The moment I realized that there was no way
those veggies were going in that skillet peacefully.
Just in time for Thanksgiving, what I know you are craving: MORE TURKEY!  You're welcome.  In truthiness, this is a recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Cookbook that I bastardized by substituting ground turkey for the tofu.  It's really, really, really good with the tofu.  And I had originally planned it as the recipe is - tofu laden.  But around mile seven of a ten mile training run for the half-marathon I just ran (yeah, I'm totally smug; also, that's what I've been doing while not following through on New Years resolutions to use Le Creuset more...), I got really, really, really hungry.  Tofu is good and filled with protein.  But I'm sorry to say vegetarian friends, I was craving the meat of a previously breathing creature like Edward craves Bella.






Woks make for chili autentico, no?
This is totally an appropriate and related reference because I just saw Breaking Dawn and want to talk about it.  Obviously. Who do you think I am?  It was as truly terrible as I had fervently hoped and dreamed it would be.  I'm looking at you, talking wolf scene and awkward and confusing pro v. no choice agenda.   (Ps.  I encourage you to use these rules when watching.  It will end really well for you.) It is a textbook Case of the Terribles.  So, anyways, long digression short,  I went for turkey.  I'm pretty sure you could sub in any meat and it would be delicious, though.  It's really the base that makes this.   And I assure you, it is delicious.  As per usual, I had some problems with realizing I'd underestimated the size of skillets needed.  Good thing I had a wok!  It's totally a vessel used to cook an authentic chili, right?!? As with any chili, I found it ten times better the next day when all the flavors had deepened and become less bright.  Yum!  Apologies to Moosewood. 


(Bastardized) Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Cookbook Chili with Turkey
(Bastardized)  Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Cookbook Chili with Ground Turkey
Serves at least six, closer to eight



Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Spanish onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp coriander
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 small zucchini, diced
  • 1 small yellow squash, diced
  • 1 large bell pepper (any color), chopped 
  • 1 lb ground protein (ie. turkey, beef, etc.)
  • 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans with liquid
  • 1 15 oz. can pinto beans with liquid
  • 1 6oz. can tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp minced parsley
 
Optional:
  • hot sauce
  • salt to taste
  • cheese
  • sour cream

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high.  Add onions and garlic and saute until the begin to soften.
  2. Add meat to skillet and saute until it begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
  3. Add cumin, coriander and chili powder to the skillet; stir well to incorporate.  Cook 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add squash and peppers to the skillet, cover, and cook for about 3 more minutes.  
  5. In your Le Creuset, heat the tomatoes, beans, and tomato paste on medium.  Stir occasionally to incorporate the paste.
  6. Transfer the hot skillet ingredients to the pot and stir to combine.  Add parsley.  Cook for approximately 20-30 minutes to ensure meat and vegetables are cooked through.
  7. Season with salt and hot sauce to taste. 
  8. Serve to your adoring and starved meat eaters.   Let them dress it up how they like it, and they'll beg you for seconds.  Maybe even thirds.  Don't judge them if they've just run ten miles!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...