Monday, July 6, 2015

Do Not Say Knope Thank You to Yes Please



Yes, yes, I know it has been forevermanytrillion moons (that’s a real measure of time, I’ll have you know) since I last wrote some reviews.  Shame. Or not so much.  I’ve been busy, like, doing other librarian things like being a first year director, commuting, being lazy, whining about snow, being lazy, and eating, lazily.  As you can see, my dance card has been set to busy.  But one of my many goals this summer is to tell you all what you should read like my bossy spirit animals command you to (The Notorious RBG, Tami Taylor, Mrs. President, Missy Elliot, the real Mrs. President, etc.)  With no further adieu, yes, please, pull up a slice of couch and let me tell you all about a book I just finished reading roughly ten minutes ago, written by another of my favorite bossy lady spirit animals, Amy Poehler:


Yes Please.  No, really, that is the title.  I loved it.  I didn’t fully realize that I’d fallen for it until about ⅓ of the way through, but then again, that was my ratio for Parks and Rec, so that seems about right.  And by fallen for it, I mean there were moments that I thought, gosh, reading this makes me feel a little like I’m reading the female voiced, slightly less linguistically gymnastic version of an EB White essay.  In short, there are a few sections that I want to go back and reread or copy down multiple times.  Poehler speaks hard truths in the most tastefully amusing and good humored way. Sections that particularly struck a chord with me were those on career vs. personal life, growing up in the Boston area, the junk women have to deal with, being depressed or anxious, the humbleness and gratefulness she felt in Haiti, and how our phones are all trying to kill us.  The way she writes about her friends made me want to go out and hug mine and tell them how beautiful and smart and talented they are, and the way she writes about her sons...hang on, there seems to be a a mist machine pointing directly at my cheeks...but in all seriousness, that section of the book made me feel the way I feel when I read EB White’s Once More To The Lake.  As in, damn. Many authors can make you feel love feelings through their words, but it’s a rare thing when an author express a personal love so deep you can’t help but joining in and feeling you share in their specific object of passion and deep love.   

Poehler is deeply amused and fascinated by the human condition, and this rings true in her humor and keen observation of the best and worst of her own times (big snaps for talking about postpartum depression).  She has a joie de vivre that rings true in her humor, and I think that’s what I really enjoy about her. She’s always respectful in her humor and it seems to come from that joie de vivre; she never takes a hurtful cheap shot, and her humor never comes from an angry place.  She’s appropriately serious when she needs to be, but able to laugh at herself and rib others tastefully.  

In short - this is a well designed (full of fun pictures and memorabilia from Poehler), easy to pick up book written by a very funny woman who is also smart, kind, empowering, bold, thoughtful, and grateful.  It’s definitely written for adults, but older teens can definitely appreciate this too....so much so that it may take a coveted spot in my 2016 summer reading list.  You’re welcome, students.   Yes, please, read Yes Please.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...