Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolution 2012: The Year We All Get Classy and Ride the Dinner Train


2012Friends, countrymen, foreigners, frenemies,
  
Happy 2012!  Despite being the year the Mayan calendar predicts we will all die (though I’m slightly disinclined to believe the apocalyptic predictions of people who squished their own skulls with boards for fashion, but do admit that the Mayans and co were also responsible for chocolate…so I could be totally wrong here), 2012 is also rumored to be the year that awesome things happen round the world (even if the world ends), STARTING HERE.  Drum roll pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I have set a lofty goal for myself in the new year, being 2012.  I resolve to become cultured! Well read! End my librarian secret shame and finally read a Dickins!  And, obviously, eat well while doing so. 
  
For each book, I will be creating an appropriately themed menu and hosting a dinner/brunch/tea party to debrief.  You may better recognize this concept by its pedestrian name: book club.   Obviously, I have recruited only the tastiest of tastemakers to these exclusive events (so if you want in, let me know).  At the end of the month I will post all recipes here, along with a summary of my/our thoughts about the books.  Thusly, even you, foreign friends (as in anyone who doesn’t live in the same city as moi), can also read along and eat with us (after the fact, but still!).  Outsourcing into your own home is welcome, especially if you live in far far places, and photographic evidence is encouraged! 


Titles and months are listed below:  

January - Count of Monte Cristo
February - Anne of Green Gables
March - Middlemarch
April - Anna Karenina*
May - Little Women
June- Catch 22
July - Moby Dick
August - House of Mirth
September - Phantom Tollbooth
October - Frankenstein
November - 1984
December - Great Expectations


If you do want to participate and ride the dinner train with us, I happen to know you will have the best year EVER, filled with chocolate, lottery wins, laughing babies, and my undying love.  If you don’t want to partake, I happen to know that you will have a year filled with chocolate and laughing babies, but also paper cuts (kidding, it’ll be a fab and happy 2012 for you too!).   BRING IT, 2012!

Dining on board the 'Southern Aurora'
I resolve to have twice as much fun reading classics while wearing twice as many pearls as this lady!
*This may be ambitious.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...