Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tidbits: Movies, international libraries, and more movies!

Movie News:
  • Did you know that Ender's Game is being adapted for film?  I didn't.  But I liked the book enough to sneak it onto my school's summer reading list!  Where are they going to find a Machiavellian middle schooler, who is precocious and also not wholy creepy while being a little intense and occasionally creepy? I will admit to being slightly weirded out that it was optioned by Summit Entertainment, the crew behind the Twilight franchise (aka the people who think it's a good idea to split Breaking Dawn into two movies, if the fact that they were behind Twilight wasn't enough) and the guy who directed the sausage parade that was Wolverine is directing.  Then again, he also directed an Oscar.  Jury's out!
  • You already heard that Jellicoe Road is going to be made into more than just a movie in my head. Melina Marchetta is, to my joy, heavily involved in the adaptation process.  Usually I can be a bit of a purist, but the suggest changes actually intrigue me and don't sound as though they'd alter the concept. Color me excited!
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower is also going to be a movie.  A movie starring Percy Jackson as Charlie, Hermione Granger as Sam, and Elena Gilbert as Candace.  YA book to movie mashup mashup!
  • Hehe. Cato in the Hunger Games adaptation has also been in another kids adaptation. I recognized him solely because his face is on the cover of the DVD for Seeker: The Dark is Rising, which I checked in and out of the Children's Room I used to work in FREQUENTLY.  Which led me to realize that a certain major player in the Games was also in a much circulated movie adapted from another children's literature classic.  Here's the cover!  Babyface!
  • Um...Just when I got used to John C. Reilly as Haymitch, he will now be played by Woody Harrelson.  Which I'm kind of excited by, because he's been alternately kind and nuts in film roles.  Except for the whole Haymitch having hair thing.  Please no wig?
Library stuff:

    1 comment:

    Sam @ Parenthetical said...

    Yeah, Ender's Game has been "being adapted into a film" for like 10 years. I'll believe it when I see it. Now does seem like an auspicious time, though. (I don't think they'll cast a middle schooler. I think they'll cast a 21-year-old, say he's 16, and miss the entire point of the book.)

    And the link to Melina's blog is fascinating! I do think that could work, actually. And I'm glad it's being made in Australia. I <3 Australian cinema.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...